The National Archives announced today that it will make the 1911 census available sooner than expected. Some "key sensitive information" will still be withheld until the first working day of 2012 under the previous 100-year rule. But the bulk of the census will now be online in early 2009, and available through Freedom of Information requests (for a fee of £45 per address) starting in January 2007. TNA has more information, and Your Family Tree Magazine has an article with some background.
December 13, 2006
December 12, 2006
Since my last report, British History Online has posted Lewis's 1848 Topographical Dictionary of England; several new volumes of the Survey of London; the Cornwall, Cumberland, Derbyshire, and Devon volumes of Lysons' Magna Britannia (note that the Bedfordshire and Berkshire volumes are available on CD from Archive CD Books); and several other items. BHO now has two RSS feeds for announcing new publications, so from now on I won't duplicate those announcements here.
FreeCEN now has more than 8.7 million transcribed census records. Counties completed in the latest update include Aberdeenshire 1841, Morayshire 1841 and 1851, Roxburghshire 1841, and Warwickshire 1891. Access to FreeREG is now open to all. The site now has 1.2 million records transcribed from parish registers. FreeBMD added 1.8 million civil registration index records in its latest update, for a total of 162 million. The FreeBMD coverage charts now highlight recent additions as well as showing totals by event and quarter. All three sites are running more quickly with the recent installation of four additional servers.
December 7, 2006
Ancestry recently posted indexes to the 1851 and 1861 censuses of Scotland. These join the 1841 census that I wrote about in June. Still no images, and still very clunky to use, with no way of seeing all the data for a household at once. When images are added, this will be great, but in the mean time, use FreeCEN instead if it has the county you want.
This blog has a new look. I recently discovered that the old format didn't display properly for Firefox users. It had some lesser problems (sometimes) in other browsers too. Sorry about that. Rather than move mountains trying to fix the bugs, I've switched to one of Blogger's standard templates. I like the old look better, and I hope to recreate it (minus the bugs) eventually.